The Oscars are still Hollywood’s pinnacle night of glitz and glam—so much so that the next day, outlets and individuals alike are dissecting everything from the fashion to the acceptance speeches. And where does much of the conversation take place? On social media.
At Fifty & Five, we’ve done a deep dive, and we’re here to bring some clarity to the conversation. Here are our top five takeaways from last night’s Academy Awards.
- Things got political. It probably shouldn’t be surprising in the current climate, but things on Twitter turned to the president. The most retweeted tweet was a 2015 tweet from Donald Trump.
- Ryan Seacrest felt the #MeToo wrath. The host, who is currently facing sexual misconduct allegations, nonetheless appeared on the red carpet for interviews. Even so, none of the actresses nominated for Best Actress visited for an interview. Seacrest racked up 83,000 mentions, peaking during the red carpet portion of the night.
- Jennifer Garner realized…something. Jennifer Garner seemingly came to a realization, and social media noticed. She became the subject of this meme which has been viewed more than 3.2 million times, and she was mentioned more than 39,000 times.
- Spanish speakers made their voices heard. With wins from Mexican filmmaker Guillermo del Toro, his film The Shape of Water and the animated film Coco, it’s not surprising that Spanish language was in the spotlight last night. Social reflected that, with the words “mejor” and “pelicula” popping up often.
- And the Oscar goes to… Despite all the noise and antics, a few stars and movies reigned supreme on social. Spider-Man actor Tom Holland, Call Me by Your Name star Timothee Chalamet and I, Tonya star Margot Robbie were the most tagged on Instagram, and Coco, Get Out and The Shape of Water were the most hashtagged movies on Twitter.
Overall, social mentions of the Oscars were positive, with the peak coming just before the biggest awards of the night.
What does it all mean for you? At Fifty & Five, we can use our powerful social media monitoring tools to dig down to the deepest levels of your campaigns, giving you valuable insights and actionable statistics so you know you’re reaching the right people and getting that ROI. Let us show you! Give us a call at 407-745-5568 to learn more.